'Cause getting your dreams
It's strange, but it seems
A little, well, complicated
I know that two blog posts this close together may come as a
bit of a shock, but I wrote this one first and then realized it was kind of a
downer for a Christmas post. So I thought I’d give you all a happier update
first. Here you have a second post for December, squeezing in just before the year turns over.
Naturally, having been in NYC for four months, people
have been wondering how much I love and adore it and never want to leave
(I know it's not intended, but I feel a guilt trip packed into these questions). To help explain
how I actually feel about this city, I have included a show-and-tell
illustration. In celebration of having survived the city thus far and as an
early Christmas present to myself, I bought the following at the NYPL book
shop:
Of course, this is a riff off of the ever-popular “I <3
NY” that is emblazoned on sweatshirts, key chains, and tote bags at every
souvenir stand. The subtitle, if it is too small to see, reads “I feel
relatively neutral about New York.” It pretty well sums up my current stance
towards the city.
Ok, yes, yes. It is a great place to visit. It is very
exciting and bustling. There are lots of things to do and see. It has good
food. But as a place to live, it is overwhelming, expensive, and the bustle is
not necessarily enjoyable for someone with “high sensitivity.” (I did all sorts
of reading this summer on introversion, so now I have tons of fancy vocabulary
to explain why I shut down after bumping into the tenth tourist of the day and
hearing yet another hip hop song bleeding through someone’s earbuds on the
subway.)
I have realized that the Facebook-status version of my life
is super rosy and leads everyone to the conclusion that I’m totally at ease in
the city. This is probably because the following status updates did not make
the cut:
“Having yet another grocery-store meltdown due to the
standard 50% markup. NO I will NOT spend $6 on Cheerios!!!”
“Did I get any homework done today, you ask? No. It took me all
day to wash my clothes because I’ve been dreading the trip to the laundromat
and finally had to go because everything I own was dirty.”
“There is a rat on the tracks. How did a rat get on these
tracks? This is an elevated subway stop! NOWHERE IS SAFE!!!”
“What was I thinking, going to school kitty-corner to the
Empire State Building? Everyone who lives in NYC knows to avoid Midtown like
the plague.”
“That moment you know you’ve chosen the wrong subway car,
yet again: ‘Ladies and Gentlemen, it’s showtime!’”
“Thought about going out tonight. Decided I’d hide inside
instead. I have too much reading to do, anyway.”
“Wanted to go ice skating in Bryant Park. Until that guy got
shot for having a nice coat.”
“No, I don’t want to buy a bus tour/bike tour/carriage tour/ticket
to the Empire State Building. I’m just walkin’ to school; please don’t stand in
my path.”
“Tourists: GO AWAY. Or at least learn how to walk on a
sidewalk.”
So, the goal is to enjoy my time away and strategize a
fresh, new plan of attack for when I return. Because I agree with you all – the
city has a lot to offer. I have wanted to go to NYC for a long time. Let’s be
honest, since I started reading the Babysitters’ Club and decided I should be
Stacey. And then since I became obsessed with Broadway musicals and NYC became
my Mecca. And come on, Norah Ephron makes New York seem like the most magical
place in the world, second only to Paris.
I just need to get over the hurdle of how expensive
everything is and the fact that the first semester of my PhD was exhausting.
Neither the expense nor the exhaustion is likely to go away, but I’ll grow
accustomed to it. Game plan upon my return is to finally make up my mind about
what musical I want to see first and just GO ALREADY.
And really, feeling “relatively neutral” means that I don’t
hate living in NYC. I am making friends, discovering great places to eat, and taking
advantage of some of what the city has to offer such as Jazz in Central Park
and opportunities to see Orlando Bloom onstage. I found a great church with
great people and awesome musicians to sing with. There are some major perks to
living in the City of all cities. Friends from all walks of life come to visit,
academic resources are in abundance, and each season brings something new to
see and do.
It’s just that the transition has been difficult, but that
was to be expected. And get ready for this: I miss the Midwest. Gasp! But it’s
true, nostalgia gets me every time. I miss shopping at my familiar grocery
stores, being able to see a movie for five bucks at the theatre down the road
from my house, babysitting Julia and Ruthie, Gus and Bess, and the Williamson
kids, cooking in a kitchen that was thrice the size of my current one, and
spending time with my friends from Wheaton College and Church of the
Resurrection.
And you know what, darnit? I desperately miss singing every
Thursday. Like, good, solid, sight-reading-and-building-technique,
blending-your-voice-with-fifty-others kind of singing. There’s a shout-out,
Resurrection Chancel Choir. Sigh.
To everything there is a season.

2 comments:
Ah Katrina, moving is an experience not for the faint of heart.
As many times as I've moved, it still is a challenge. I have developed a pattern that helps me acclimate... for me it takes about a year to feel "at home", and some places, well, I found that while I was able to make peace, I never got past the ambivalence. No place is perfect.
I have every faith that as time progresses you will make a place and a rhythm that works well for you...
And on those days when you are taxed to your wits end... you can always call your Mom if you need to whine or weep, she, like the rest of your family believes in you so profoundly... And for myself, well, sweetie, I just love you to pieces.
Thanks for sharing especially the frustrations which make your humanity and grace so endearing.
xo
I remember the garbage in the streets of New York clogging the drains. Native New Yorkers giving wrong directions deliberatly. But also Lincoln Center, the Strand Bookstore, and Yankee stadium. I appreciate your honesty. I like reading about the real you.
Post a Comment